Tuesday, December 14, 2010

So Lucky

I know that its been a while and such, but I've been reading again and therefore thinking.
It is absolutely disgusting how much waste there is in our society-waste of money, food, natural resources...you name it, we waste it. Even love, we take it so for granted that we don't think about the fact that it isn't a given to have people in this world who love you. A couple nights ago, I was thinking about how full and warm and comfortable I was and looking at the amount of food, still perfectly good, that was sitting on the table and just how much we had consumed and I realised, not only am I absurdly lucky to have this sort of luxury, but I was also thinking about just how many people in this world don't. I was thinking about this; How many people in this world get less to eat in a day or a week than I just ate at one sitting? How many people never get to have a solid roof over their head and sturdy walls around them, let alone indoor plumbing, furniture, electricity, heating, multiple computers, an iPod, internet, microfiber pajama pants that they never have to wear for anything other than sleeping in a soft and squishy, warm, clean bed? How many people could have been sustained for a week by the amount of food presented to me during dinner? and I have access to food 24/7. It is absurd, unfair and honestly, kind of scary to think about just how lucky an privileged I am. If I fall and twist my ankle, I can get painkillers coming out the wazoo. If I have a little stuffy nose, I can, no, not can. I am encouraged to take decongestants to feel better while there are people in other places dying from diseases which it is almost impossible for me to contract here-malaria, polio, tuberculosis-the list goes on. How did I get so lucky and WHY???

No comments:

Post a Comment